PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Thank You!

Thank you all for your lovely comments on my last few posts. We are in Oklahoma this week visiting relatives on my husband's side, and are having a great time. I've made sure to schedule posts for all of you, but am unable to keep up with replying to comments until we return on Tuesday. I can't wait to return home and resume my obsessive checking of all of your wonderful blogs! ;)

I was delighted when I had the chance to check my email and I saw so many wonderful suggestions and comments from you all. I will definitely be spending some time this coming week visiting the different websites you've suggested for online games for the kiddos and researching the different teaching reading books mentioned in the comments section. Since I wrote that post (remember, it was scheduled out), I had the opportunity to purchase something via Amazon.com gift card, and chose to buy the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons that I mentioned in the post I wrote. We just finished lesson five today (yes, I brought it with me!), and Little Bean seems to be doing fine with it. This book came highly recommended to me from a long-time homeschooling mom who used it on all 4 of her children, and since I had a gift card, I really had nothing to lose! Your comments concerning it's fun factor seem to be true however; it's a bit on the technical side, as it is phonics based, but I am fairly confident that it will do it's job and teach Little Bean to read, which I know will be so rewarding for him as he wants to read so badly. The lessons are only about 15 minutes long, which is perfect for his attention span on something this challenging, and so even though he's not having a blast doing it, he does feel a real sense of accomplishment when he is through with the lesson, and that I really appreciate. I will definitely be updating you on his progress as we work our way through the book--only 94 more lessons to go! ;)

I'll be back "in person" Wednesday; until then--enjoy your Memorial Day weekend! I know we are!

2 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is great that it is working! can't wait to read the updates and future lessons! have a great memorial day weekend!

Annette W. said...

I'm glad you are finding it good to use. I wonder how we'll do all of that teaching to read, since we plan to use the local public school.

Related Posts with Thumbnails