PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chocolate Playdough

I've seen the recipe for chocolate scented playdough around for a while, and decided to give it a go tonight, in hopes of setting it out for our playgroup tomorrow. The recipe calls for Cocoa powder, which unfortunately I didn't have on hand, so I used Ovaltine. :) I achieved the chocolately smell, and, yes, I tasted it, and it is quite salty, so I'm pretty sure if the kids do have a taste it won't be pleasant (even if it is technically edible). Given that I used Ovaltine, which is light in color, my chocolate playdough reminds me more of refried beans than chocolate, but I did get the texture of the dough right, which is the most important thing when making homemade dough.

Here is the recipe, taken from this site:
Mix:
1 and 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar in a large bowl.

While doing the dry ingredients, boil (don't skip this step) 1 cup water. Add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the boiling water and then turn heat to low. Add in dry ingredients and quickly mix. The mixture changes pretty rapidly. Pull dough out when a ball is formed and then knead the dough on wax paper.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Erica said...

We made this a while back, I loved the smell....but it reminded my older boys of something we should not be ever playing with lol!

Related Posts with Thumbnails